COLUMBUS, Ind. — Columbus firefighters were sent to a residential fire at 759 Glendale Drive at approximately 1 p.m. Monday where they found smoke coming from the home with flames visible from the roof.
As firefighters prepared to make an interior attack, the owner of the property approached firefighters and advised that everyone was out of the residence, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.
A fire attack crew entered the home and discovered flames in the kitchen. Firefighters extinguished flames near the stove and saw flames overhead that had breached through the ceiling and extended to the roof. Firefighters removed portions of the ceiling to access the fire. After applying additional water to the area involved, the fire was brought under control, Wilson said.
Investigators spoke with the homeowner, who told investigators that the fire occurred after the homeowner attempted to heat a food product on the stove. The homeowner told investigators that he turned on the stove and briefly stepped away. The fire was discovered by another occupant inside the residence. Investigators learned that the homeowner attempted to extinguish the fire prior to the arrival before exiting the home. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental as a result of unattended cooking. Damages caused by fire were isolated to the kitchen area and the roof structure above the kitchen. Smoke damages were visible throughout the home. Damages are estimated at $40,000. According to the property owner, the home is insured.
Agencies that assisted at the scene include the Columbus Police Department, Eastern Bartholomew Water, Columbus Regional Health EMS, CenterPoint Energy and Duke Energy.