Supt. Marian Kim Phelps of the Poway Unified School District was recently recognized as the 2021 “Exemplary Woman in Education” by the Association of California School Administrators.
Phelps was selected out of almost 70 female educators from across California, said Christine Paik, PUSD chief communications officer.
Paik said the award was created to spotlight women who have demonstrated courageous leadership, as well as
- A passion for the profession,
- A commitment to grow and develop others (seeking mentors to better herself and by becoming a mentor to others),
- A demonstrated desire to give back through public and/or community service,
- Advocacy for the value of school administrators and contributions to the improvements of the profession and
- Demonstrated effective crisis leadership during unprecedented times, especially during the pandemic.
Phelps was also previously named the 2021 Superintendent of the Year for Region 18 (San Diego and Imperial Counties) by the ACSA. She will receive her award in November at the ACSA Leadership Summit in San Francisco.
Get the Pomerado News in your inbox weekly
Top headlines from Poway, Rancho Bernardo and 4S Ranch, every Thursday for free.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Pomerado News.
“I am shocked and humbled to be chosen from among so many outstanding nominees, and especially after such a difficult year for educators and the field of education as a whole,” Phelps said. “… I feel privileged to be entrusted to continue to lead PUSD beyond this pandemic and into an exciting future as we continue to empower world-class learners.”